I am a college freshman. One thing I've noticed in college is that there are a lot of essays.My high school required a writing course as a senior to teach us how to write college level papers. Our college requires freshman to take a writing course on how to write papers too, so we had to write four essays for that class.My point is.....we are supposed to be prepared to write papers the "right" way, but since writing is subjective, are essays a fair way to grade a student at all? Both of my writing classes were much different in what they said.I am asking this because I'm a little frustrated with how my college course taught me to write. The teacher taught our class to write everything as if talking. He said there is nothing wrong with using first person in an essay. Yet, I applied some of his techniques to another class this semester and the teacher totally roasted me and I got a C- on the essay.However, had I given that essay to my writing teacher, he may have given me an A.So are essays truly a fair way to grade a student?
- How to write an essay.? - When I was in seventh grade, I remember my English teacher taught us how to write college essays by using these techniques. I honestly can not remember what those techniques are! They were something like HOT or STOP each letter standing for a tip to help writing an essay. If your teacher taught you this
- Getting kicked out of college…do I have to report it to my new college institution? - last semester, i began college and ended my fall semester with a 1.1 GPA,which of course placed me on academic probation with the institution that i am currently enrolled at. Well last semester i applied to another institution that was a better choice for the new major that i had selected and i was accepted.
- My English teacher refuses to give me an A+ in her class even though I have a 99%? - I know there are worse problems right now (like the poor Haiti orphans), but this is irking me enormously. The first semester ends next week but my school already taken the finals and everything. My final grade in my English class is a 99.08% and I want an A+. I have reasons for this request
- Is this good enough to get into the University of Miami? - I’m a junior in high school and my unweighted GPA is a 3.2 and my weighted GPA is a 3.3 (if I wouldn’t have had such a hard time my freshman year it would’ve been higher) but I can still bring it up since my 2nd semester just started and I’m in a 4×4 schedule
- Do you think my teacher will allow me to do extra credit? - Hello. Here is a little bit of back ground information. So I am taking an AP economics course at my high school; I am a straight A student, and I have taken many AP courses, so I understand the meaning of a challenging work load, I am also (I feel) a diligent student (I pay
- Should I go back to my old high school? - I transfered to a different school because my old school hosted a hostile environment. Even my English teacher would bully me. No one really treated me with respect, and the students thought they were so superior to me that I didn’t even deserve to talk to them. Some teachers would look for any excuse to
- Concern about girlfriend? - We are in the 9th grade. Today, in English class, we were grading our essays that we wrote the previous day. Due to the teacher’s laziness, the class were grading our own papers. My girlfriend and I are in the same class. And against all odds, my girlfriend got my paper to correct. (the teacher