This is the introduction for my essay for one of my writing classes. Topic for the essay:Why should dictionaries and other reference works, such as grammar and spelling handbooks, be used as descriptive resources?Introduction to my essay:Throughout the years, the English language has rapidly formed and changed into what it is today. During these years, dictionaries have been reliable sources that have stored word’s spelling, grammar, and usage’s. The changing of the English language is still in motion, meaning that word’s spelling and usages are still changing, and being added to, and new words are being used. Thus, it makes sense that dictionaries must update to keep up with the how the language is currently used, right? Historically, dictionaries were prescriptive, meaning that they propose the proper usage and spelling of words, and shy away from slang terms. However, the prescriptive way seems to ignore the fact that the English language has evolved over the years, and being used differently in this day and age. That is why dictionaries, and other reference works, should be descriptive. They should describe the language as it is being used in today’s world. There is value in having rules, but what is the point of having these rules if they don’t relate to how the language is spoken and written? Please just give me any feedback you can. If it sounds funny, spelling is off, or just anything, and I would greatly appreciate it!
- Could you help me please with essay.Is Enlish an easy or difficult language to learn ?Why? - Actually, each and every language is difficult to learn if you want to get fluent in it. I’m not a native English speaker, so I’ll tell you the main things as I see them. What makes English difficult to learn: * Pronunciation. It takes time to get used to some sounds, like “th”, “tch”, “r”,
- English – What matters the most: grammar, vocabulary, spelling or literature? - I’ve always wondered, what matters most? People say that I’m bad at English and my English teacher thinks that I’m “special”, whenever I write essays/tests, I always get a low mark compared to the girls with bad grammar and spelling, but good vocab and literature, I am hopeless at literature and I have a small
- I suspect i am a dyslexic. I am scoring poor grades for my English.? - Hi all,Since young, i am always scoring poor grades for my languages, especially english. For O level, i scored all 4As and 1B for my math, science and humanity but i got a D for English. I can’t speak fluent English and sometimes even my first language, Chinese. I don’t know much about vowel
- I suspect I am a dyslexic recently. I am always scoring poor grades for English.? - Hi all,Since young, i am always scoring poor grades for my languages, especially english. For O level, i scored all 4As and 1B for my math, science and humanity but i got a D for English. I can’t speak fluent English and sometimes even my first language, Chinese. I don’t know much about vowel
- A word for “wolf-like”? - i am trying to write a college essay where i have to describe myself with one word, and my personality is very much akin to that of a wolf, but i cant seem to find a single word for it, i don’t think that “Wolven” is a word, and somewhere i’ve heard of “volfen” but
- Can someone thoroughly revise and edit the introductory paragraph to my essay? - I am entering the Black History Month Essay competition. I want to write the best essay possible and I want to put my essay through the most rigorous peer review possible before submitting it. I need someone to revise the paragraph by improving the word usage and making it sound more coherent. Please if
- What are the main elements of a descriptive essay? - Hello Yesii, Here are some guidelines for writing a descriptive essay:Take time to brainstormIf your instructor asks you to describe your favorite food, make sure that you jot down some ideas before you begin describing it. For instance, if you choose pizza, you might start by writing down a few words: sauce, cheese, crust, pepperoni,