My essay is posted here, [external link] , for easier reading, but i will post it here too.--- Homer’s Odyssey is one of the earliest examples of literature in which a main character is faced with obstacles and must overcome them. Odysseus, the King of Ithaca, is on a journey to return to his homeland after the Trojan War. He can be considered one of the greatest heroes of all literature because he is able to solve problems put ahead of him. Through the struggle to out-smart a Cyclops and the battle to withstand the Sirens’ seduction, Odysseus illustrates his heroism by showing courage and wisdom. Odysseus’ first great challenge took place in the Land of the Cyclops. The Cyclops are the sons of Poseiodn. Odysseus and his men get trapped in a cave with one, named Polyphemus. The Cyclops starts eating Odysseus’ crew, so Odysseus planned to drink with the Cyclops and then blind him. While enjoying the wine, the Cyclops demanded to know Odysseus’ name. Odysseus did not want to expose himself, so he says that his name is "Nobody." This is clever, because when the Cyclops went to seek revenge, he was left saying that "nobody did this to me." The Cyclops wouldn’t have been able to blame anyone. Odysseus also thought ahead and had his men attach themselves to the Cyclops’ rams. When Polyphemus let out the animals, he also unwillingly released his captives. The Sirens are female creatures who sang a beautiful song that lures sailors closer to the island, and eventually to their death. Odysseus had to get his men through, so with help from Athena, Odysseus plugged the crews ears with beeswax. He did not have his ears plugged because he wanted to experience the Sirens’ song. Instead, he instructed his crew to tie him to the mast. Daring to experience the lovely voices of the Sirens was definitely a brave action. If he hadn’t thought to restrain himself, the entire crew could have perished. Odysseus achieved his heroic status by bravely enduring Poseidon’s wrath and being determined to return to Ithaca. He showed courageousness when he blinded the Cyclops, and was very wise in plotting a way to trick the Cyclops. He went against all odds to return home, and while overcoming his hardship, his heroism was proved.---What can I do to improve? Any suggestions?
- Edit my essay ten points please? - Beauty is Deceptive in the Odyssey. Sometimes beauty can be deceptive. Even though they are beautiful on the out side does not always mean they are beautiful on the inside. There is many example in the Odyssey were beauty is taken for granite. Odysseus and his crew encountered many challenges for beautiful goddess. He and
- Odysseus: Do you see, you gods of sea and sky? I conquered Troy. Me Odysseus, a mortal man of flesh and blood? - and bone and mind! I do not need you now, I can do anything.Poseidon: Odysseus, why do you defy me?Odysseus: Who are you?Poseidon: It is I Poseidon, god of the wine dark sea. You have forfeited for forgetting how I helped you.Odysseus: Help me? For ten years you played with us as toys. For ten
- Is this a good response essay? - Is this a good response essay for The Odyssey? The Odyssey is an epic poem written by Homer about the impact the gods had on the people’s lives. The main character is a man named
- Why it’s hard to uphold youth values and ideals? - Ok, I’m really not that dumb to ask you to do my homework tasks:) I’ve already done it, just… maybe someone has interesting ideas I may add?So, in Literature we interpreted a fragment of the book you probably don’t know, that was about a guy who really wanted to be a priest and an old
- Why did the the Titanic sink? - Basically, I have a homework essay to write about why the Titanic sank and who was eventually blamed. I have some reasons, but am I missing anything?1. The rivets weren’t very good quality iron and the rivet heads broke from the impact.2. Bruce Ismay (the Managing Director) wanted the Titanic to make the quickest crossing
- Sympathy for the DEVIL? Should I even Bother..? - Sympathy for the DEvil is an incredible song . Each year my school has a talent show and I can think of many reasons why I want to play tht song, to list a few:-most people have no clue I can sing or play piano I am commonly thought to be a drummer.-The song is
- The Odyssey Essay Topic? - In the ten years that it takes Odysseus to return home, he learns many lessons from the gods and goddesses, monsters and mortals that he encounters. Which two discoveries do you think are most important and why? Explain you choices fully and use evidence from the text to support your argument.