Shirley Anita St. Hill Chisholm was her full name. She was born on November 30,1924 and died on January 1,2005. Born poor to immigrant parents. Her father was from British Guiana, which is now called Guyana, and her mother was from Barbados. Shirley Chisholm grew up in Barbados, and also in New York City. She received a good education in Barbados while living with her maternal grandmother. At the age of ten, she returned to New York to live with her parents again, and went to public schools. She attended Girl’s High School in Bedford-Stuyvesant, which is a section of Brooklyn with a growing poor black and immigration population.After graduating college in 1946, she worked as a nursery school teacher. Later she worked as a director of schools for early childhood education. In 1949 she got married to Conrad Chisholm. Having such achievement as a teacher, she ran for the New York State Assembly in 1964, and won. During the time she was in the assembly, she had sponsored fifty laws,
- I have a 420 in my math and reading sat scores. Will Brooklyn college accept me? - I know that Brooklyn college needs 450 for reading and 490 for math but will they at least consider that i have a good gpa and if i write a good essay? I was also thinking of Queens college but they don’t have journalism… So if these colleges wont accept me then I
- What colleges should I apply to? - I’m having a terribly hard time deciding what colleges to apply to this year. I want to major in Communications and Journalism. I want to work, or shall I say intern, at a Public Relations Firm. I’m interested in fashion, so I was thinking of heading to California or New York, but I’m up for
- Quarter-life crisis. What should I do? - I have severe ADHD, but wasn’t diagnosed until 17. So I’ve spent years developing habits that don’t lead to success. I never got the counseling.I’ve never had an academic year without failure. I barely scraped by to graduate high school.I barely got into a college in Milwaukee because of my essay. I left after a
- College…please help..pleaseeeeeeee :(? - so I have 2 more schools to choose and I don’t have any idea what they are..please help me I want it to be in new york(preferably), has either MD or pre med program, a university not a college. i have a 1750 SAT score( i know not good.but ya), GPA is 3.7(unweighted).
- Essay help? - So im writing an essay on the film Children of Men and was wondering if this section needed any adjustments. My thesis is Children of Men reveals that hope as well as faith and redemption are fundamental in order to keep humanity from reaching total collapse.The refugees are rounded up, captured and put into cages
- Can I get into these schools? - So, now that all of my applications are in, I was wondering what people think my chances are at the schools I applied to. The schools I applied to are:1.Amherst College2.SUNY Binghamton3.Boston University4.Bucknell5.Carnegie Mellon6.Cornell7.Duke8.SUNY Geneseo9.Johns Hopkins10.Northeastern11.RPI12.SUNY Stony Brook13.Tufts14.WPI15.YaleYes I know, long list… Amherst and Yale were basically to please my insane dad who thinks I
- Do I have a shot at any of these schools(all Northeast)? - I’m afraid I won’t get accepted because of my grades, I have changed since then and have actually started trying at school.I have a 2.65 GPA, 1470 on SAT’s I’m in a few honors classes and was mostly in all advanced throughout high school. I played football and wrestled and I am currently trying to